Adding a bathroom, opening a kitchen. - Chandelier & rug help??
  • We used Boos black walnut. I don't think it was that expensive (but it was Boos so maybe it was?) I should let you come over, sounds like we have identical taste in kitchens. We did ours 2 years ago and still a joy every morning to come down to it. It's taking too long on my iPad to upload the picture, will send in my next post.
  • Let me know if you want to find out where we got the counters from, no gaps or wood filler but the wood does take a lot of wear and tear from regular living.
    photo.JPG
  • We have bamboo countertops from Grothouse Lunber in PA. I loved the kind in which you could see the bamboo segments, but it was very expensive, so I settled for flat grain, which is also lovely. The wood is warm looking and very soft under my hands. Maybe it is somewhat 'green' too! It gains a patina in time (code for wear and tear) but that's okay with me.
  • @eperce. Oh my goodness, yes, can I come see your kitchen??? The backsplash. The countertops. That STOVE. I WANT TO SEE IT ALL.

I just absolutely love the look of that dark butcher block. I'll look into Grothouse, thanks mim. And I'm glad to hear that the Ikea counters are holding up! The price is great for the Ikea ones (we could do all our counters for much less than $1k), it'd just be a question of how much labor we'll be able/willing to put in to make them look the way we want. I know I want to seal them well, and that's probably going to be the biggest (and smelliest) issue with a "diy" butcher block.
  • @mim, just realized that Grothouse is the company I was looking at (and requested a quote from). Did you get the "durata" finish? We're not planning to use ours as a cutting board, so that finish is VERY interesting to me! How did the installation go? Did someone come out to measure, or did you do all the cuts/installation yourself?
  • AFA, it's too bad I didn't check into this thread earlier, because I would have recommended you try electric radiant floor heating. We put that into our bathroom upstairs, and it is the most wonderful thing ever. And it was NOT expensive. We paid about $300 per sheet of the heating pads, which essentially amount to putting a large electric blanket under your flooring, with a thermostat on the wall to keep it at a temperature you like. For a bathroom we needed two sheets. More than worth it, when I walk into the bathroom in bare feet in the middle of the night and the tile is lukewarm instead of freezing.
  • I wonder if there's a handyman in town that you could pay to do the DIY portion. It could still be less than going for a super expensive finished piece but would take some of the heat off you.
  • No worries, Peggy--we had discussed several kinds of heating with our contractor, including electric radiant floors and hot water radiant floors. We don't want any strictly electric heating systems for various reasons, and we just don't have the money to justify doing the hot water system in the bathroom AND kitchen--it'd end up being about 3k extra. It's on our list to install eventually--so much so that we're running a pipe up to the third floor (which has just an electric baseboard heater right now) while the wall is open for the kitchen remodel, so when we do the hot water system we can use it for the third floor, too. But for now, the radiator switcheroo makes sense and should keep us plenty warm for the next few winters. I hope! :)

Tarheels, that's a great idea--if the prices for pre-finished butcher block end up being too much, I'll look into that. I am just so set on a dark butcher block at this point...not just aesthetically, but price-wise, too!
  • Re: Grothouse flat grain bamboo. They did all the measuring/templating/installation. I was not home when the counters were installed, but heard no complaints from our GC about anything and the work seemed perfect to me. I don't know what finish we got -- really, it seems to have NO finish, just that wood softness. I oiled it often during its first year, now just every few months. I don't cut directly on it -- don't want quite that much patina! You are welcome to come look if interested. Just shoot me a msg.
  • The person who put in our soapstone countertops (which replaced our Ikea butcher block) also does butcher block. Link below. He was really wonderful and priced out much better than anyone else we talked to. We priced Black Walnut with him as well and the cost was actually pretty close to the soapstone. We have a small side counter that we were going to do in black walnut when we decided to do soapstone everywhere else and even a small pice of the black walnut was going to cost quite a bit, so we just reused a piece of the ikea butcher block with the intention of darkening it with dark tung oil. We've had the butcher block in there for 5 years and the soapstone for a year. The butcher block does hold up really well. When we put in the butcher block, we had a handyman install it.

http://www.gardenstatesoapstone.com/

I'm attaching a shot of our dining room table. It's Ikea butcher block with 6 coats of dark tung oil. We made the table last summer maybe after our lovely children destroyed the old table. The dark tung oil is pretty easy. Apply, wait 40 minutes rub off the excess and buff it a bit with a cloth. We did the coats over a few days. We didn't seal it and we never sealed the old counters, just oiled them. Even with 4 children using it for meals, legos, crayons and cars, it still looks pretty much like it did when it was new.
    Dining_Room_2-1.jpg
  • here's the soapstone right after it went it last year.
    soapstone.jpg
  • Well, crap, everyone, I was hoping to get some other recommendations for DIFFERENT types of counters, but now I just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllly want butcher block after seeing all this gorgeous stuff.

lissenden, the table looks gorgeous! As does your soapstone! I'll take a look at your recommendation, thanks. :)

And as an update, we've got a corner toilet waiting in our basement (apparently the only brand of corner toilet in existence): http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Titan-2-Piece-1-6-GPF-Right-Height-Round-Toilet-in-White-with-Triangle-Tank-2844-016-020/202811025#.UX8BULUm7Ck

And a big hole in our wall waiting for us to order a corner pedestal sink-- probably this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porcher-Carene-Pedestal-Sink-Combo-in-White-24321-00-001/100664913#.UX8BKbUm7Ck

So, @ffof, I might get in touch with you about your corner cabinet as well. ;)
  • My corner cabinet is actually an antique I bought somewhere, I think up in Vermont, so I don't think I can help you there, but I bet you can find all sorts of cool things online :-)
  • Love both the butcher block and the soapstone. So much so that I'm considering both for our kitchen in CT, which currently has Formica (a pretty Formica, but still... Formica). Oooo. Maybe I could actually DO both, since we have an island. H'mm. Butcher block for the island, soapstone for everything else, or the other way around...
  • Peggy, I have a friend who did just that (I think the island is butcher block?). Looks great. I've definitely seen the stone-type counters + butcher block island combo a lot during my kitchen research!
  • afa said:

Peggy, I have a friend who did just that (I think the island is butcher block?). Looks great. I've definitely seen the stone-type counters + butcher block island combo a lot during my kitchen research!

There was a beautiful kitchen in the recent issue of This Old House that had a walnut-topped island, it was lovely!
  • afa said:

Well, crap, everyone, I was hoping to get some other recommendations for DIFFERENT types of counters, but now I just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaalllly want butcher block after seeing all this gorgeous stuff.

lissenden, the table looks gorgeous! As does your soapstone! I'll take a look at your recommendation, thanks. :)

And as an update, we've got a corner toilet waiting in our basement (apparently the only brand of corner toilet in existence): http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Titan-2-Piece-1-6-GPF-Right-Height-Round-Toilet-in-White-with-Triangle-Tank-2844-016-020/202811025#.UX8BULUm7Ck

And a big hole in our wall waiting for us to order a corner pedestal sink-- probably this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porcher-Carene-Pedestal-Sink-Combo-in-White-24321-00-001/100664913#.UX8BKbUm7Ck

So, @ffof, I might get in touch with you about your corner cabinet as well. ;)

Talk to John at JV Woodworking. He can build anything you want. He built a beautiful cabinet for our bathroom which allowed us to maximize the space that was formerly a closet. The cabinet matches the vanities exactly and they look like a set. It was about the same price as buing it and it was made to my specifications. He is highly recommended on MOL where I got his info originally.

• Are you looking for a floor or wall corner cabinet. And which color? I saw this one. It is really cute. Really small though. But perhaps that is a good thing in this case?

http://giftwarehouse.com/35280.html

• THINGS ARE HAPPENING!! The frame for the powder room went up today. At first the space felt really closed in but I'm already getting used to it. My husband really liked the nook (especially the light coming in from the windows), so I think it'll take him some time to get used to seeing a wall/doors there instead of an open space with windows. But, oh, to have a bathroom downstairs. I was SO incredibly sick the other week (I couldn't even hold water down), so having to run upstairs multiple times a day to put my head in a toilet really sealed the deal for me that this is going to be a great addition to the house. . Especially because while I was getting sick upstairs, my kid took it upon herself to climb a stool, get herself an orange from the kitchen counter, and then proceed to mangle it on our rug trying to open it up. I'm glad that she has initiative, but it would have been great to try to supervise that whole situation.

A bathroom! Soon to be downstairs!!!!

So exciting!

I was mostly kidding about needing ffof's info about the corner vanity...back when I was debating what kind of toilet to get, ffof said s/he had a corner toilet AND sink AND vanity. And we ended up with a corner sink and toilet, too. So glad we made that choice. Seeing how small the space is now that it's framed out...I don't think there would be any other way to do it.
    photo (5).JPG
  • By the way, I just wiped a ton of crayon off of the butcher block table and only needed a Babyganics wipe. It really does hold up against anything.
  • Lissenden, I'm SO glad to hear that, because I just got a quote back from a company that does wood countertops--a dark wood + permanent finish would end up being upwards of 8k for all our countertops, and that's NOT including installation or the guy coming over to measure. So Ikea butcherblock is looking VERY likely, even with the extra work we'll have to do to make it look the way we want. Since the peninsula is likely to be our craft/crayon center, too, I'm glad the counters have been a good workhorse for you.
  • Wow. That's a pricey countertop! It sure does make IKEA sound good.

I think that powder room will be adorable with all the corner stuff. :D
  • So exciting!!!

Whoa, 8k... that's insane. We paid under 3k for our granite, including installation.
  • So exciting!!!

Whoa, 8k... that's insane. We paid under 3k for our granite, including installation.

Mind sharing your source? We are starting to do research for our kitchen and we are trying to be very price concious.
  • Depends on the granite... the two slabs of granite we were deciding between were about $8k apart in cost.
  • So exciting!!!

Mind sharing your source? We are starting to do research for our kitchen and we are trying to be very price concious.

Sure! We went with All Granite & Marble (marble.com) which comes highly recommended. We don't have a ton of counter space, so we opted for a higher grade granite - what they call "Single Gold" - in Absolute Black. In looking back at my project estimate, we had 33 square feet total.

• Alright, planning to order our cabinets from Barker's this weekend (http://www.barkercabinets.com) so we need to have all the final planning stuff done. I'm going to wait to buy appliances until we absolutely need them and/or when there are awesome sales (Memorial Day???), so I'm trying to figure out the sizes of all of the appliances and what, exactly, we need. (generally, 30" stove, 24" dishwasher, 35" fridge I think)

The thing I can't figure out is the RANGE HOOD. Right now we have an ancient vent in the soffett over the window and it's pretty crappy. I kind of don't want a big hood at all, because the stove is under the windows and I don't want it blocking the light from the window. Plus I just don't like the way range hoods look. Was thinking a downdraft vent would be a good solution, but our contractor said those don't work super well. My parents have one with no complaints, but I'd love some other recommendations, either of a good downdraft vent (none of them on the Home Depot website have reviews!) or a VERY small range hood? All the ones I'm seeing on Home Depot's website look enormous, but maybe they just seem huge because I've never had one??
  • A reminder from an earlier post, this is where our stove is (not technically to code since it's under a window, but we've called the town 3 times and were told that the location can be grandfathered in).

The vent is tucked in behind the fancypants trim, in the center. I feel like a hood would block the windows and look awkward there, even if it was a super short one (and I don't like the way super short ones look)...

We're planning to remove the soffett, FWIW. Hopefully we won't find too many surprises.
    stove.jpg
  • Down draft seems like the best option for that location. Plus if worse comes to worse you can always open a window :).

If you do need a hood, perhaps something that has glass rather than all metal? They do appear to be pretty big. HD has some on display. You may want to tour other Kitchen showrooms for more ideas.
    Glass Range Hood.jpg
  • This actually does not look bad at all.
    traditional-kitchen.jpg
  • You will want to make sure that the stove is centered in front of the two windows though.
  • You will want to make sure that the stove is centered in front of the two windows though.

Agree with this... if the stove is centered between the two windows, the vent pipe from the hood will cover the casing between the windows, but not much more. I think it would look pretty good, going by what Pmartinezv posted.
  • I like what pmartinez posted for what you have.
  • The fact that the stove isn't centered now drives us NUTS. The previous owners clearly bought the wrong size stove when they got a new one and then filled in the space with those stupid little drawers to the left. The stove will be VERY centered when we finish!!

I like the idea of the glass hood, but we're really trying to go traditional with our kitchen and I would worry it's too modern. :/ It'd be nice to get one with lights, for sure, so I'll look into that. It just seems like all the ones I see are like...40" long, which is WAY TOO BIG. :(

And everything I'm reading about downdraft ventilation is basically, "Uh, physics? Hello? This will not work." I rarely use the vent we have now because it hardly works (I just open the windows), and my kid is used to the smoke detector going off, so I don't need anything super powerful.
    Still looking, though!

Our contractor is planning to demo the kitchen next Saturday!!! ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not mentally prepared for it to go so quickly!!!! I need to find some good crock pot / toaster oven recipes, STAT.
    Post edited by afa at 2013-05-03 19:43:26
  • Wow. Good luck! It will be wonderful when it's done, and you will love it.

We have a down draft vent as part of our stove, and it works really well, actually. You can see it drawing the steam off. The down side is it actually seems to decrease the heat put out by the burners, although I have no idea if the physics of THAT are possible.
  • Peggy, I do think that's possible (but just from observation, not science). We bought a more powerful vent/fan this time, and it seems as though open pans take FOREVER to boil and don't always maintain a simmer. otoh, it's fun imagining turning the fan all the way up and actually lifting the cat....

afa, I've been enjoying your blog, lurking and dreaming. Agree that a hood for the space you have would take extra thought. Just want to note that our painter told me *always* to turn on the fan when the stove is on, because it's a big help in keeping the kitchen clean. At the time, we had a microwave/hood combo that he said was way small and underpowered. sooo, long story short, just advocating getting a fan with plenty of power and coverage, whether conventional or down draft.

If your hood or vent arrangement doesn't include lighting, can you put task lights of some kind in above the stove? I would have big trouble without the hood light, but then, I'm in extreme upper middle age. : )
  • afa-- Try Zephyr hoods.

Side note: I'd make sure the town is ok with the range under the window first... We toyed with this idea (fearing only inconsistent heating with gas), but decided against it when told it wouldn't pass code and would be a major $ rework in cabinet changes if denied. We went with the stove in the corner on a diagonal, which eliminated the linear right-angle look and freed up a lot of space to play with, including room for a deep farmer's sink under the window.
  • MJC, I am sure your painter is correct about always turning on the fan when you cook. The gunk that accumulates on the cabinets around the stove and the walls and ceiling in that area doesn't bear thinking about, unless we keep the fan going. And I agree with you about a light source. VERY important when cooking after sunset. I have become more and more dependent on task lighting provided by our recessed spots in the ceiling.
  • I skimped on the hood when I redid my kitchen 10 years ago. Ended up ripping that hood out and installing the real deal. Will never look back.

Prior to hood, the kitchen would fill with smoke and the fire alarms would go off if I pan fried bacon. (OK, I know, I know: everyone else in the world just microwaves it.) Now, not a problem.

If you put the range in front of the window and get a minimal design hood, you may not even see it. But it will be worth the expense.

• afa said:

The fact that the stove isn't centered now drives us NUTS. The previous owners clearly bought the wrong size stove when they got a new one and then filled in the space with those stupid little drawers to the left. The stove will be VERY centered when we finish!!

I like the idea of the glass hood, but we're really trying to go traditional with our kitchen and I would worry it's too modern. :/ It'd be nice to get one with lights, for sure, so I'll look into that. It just seems like all the ones I see are like...40" long, which is WAY TOO BIG. :(

And everything I'm reading about downdraft ventilation is basically, "Uh, physics? Hello? This will not work." I rarely use the vent we have now because it hardly works (I just open the windows), and my kid is used to the smoke detector going off, so I don't need anything super powerful.
    Still looking, though!

Our contractor is planning to demo the kitchen next Saturday!!! ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not mentally prepared for it to go so quickly!!!! I need to find some good crock pot / toaster oven recipes, STAT.

Do you have a grill? We plan on using it regularly once we start our kitchen reno next spring/summer.

• Glad this is getting revived! Going on the final plans now. I'll probably post tonight with help making sure I've got enough cabinets for everything!!

ctrzaska, we called the town twice and our contractor has also been in touch with the inspector--since the location is grandfathered, it should be okay. The vent is there, the gas line is there......I'm holding off on ordering cabs until the rough inspection, though, because I'm petrified they wont' accept it...but our contractor assures us it'll be ok.

We stayed up far too late last night looking at range hoods. My husband just wants to keep an in-the-wall exhaust fan (our contractor said it would be fine as long as it's 400CFM, but that's going to be soooooo loooouuuuud). My husband even got to the point where he was looking up code online and was like, "We don't NEEEEED a range hood! Let's just not get one!" But I'm sick of setting off the smoke alarm. It's not making me feel good about my cooking abilities. Since we're getting this nice new kitchen I want things to stay CLEAN. So I'm leaning towards a range hood....

This is the smallest range hood we could find: http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Vantage-Stainless-Island-GVAI-30/dp/B005HK6OP8

as pmartinezv suggested, the glass will be fairly unobtrusive and hopefully won't block all of the gorgeous late afternoon light I get through the windows now. The style isn't totally what we were going for, but I think glass would be the way to go. I have NO idea where our tape measure went but once I find it I'm going to see how those dimensions would be over the stove. We'll see.

And yes, we have a grill! Definitely planning to use it during the reno, but this whole cicada thing is stressing me out. :) Our house is so close to the reservation and I've already dug up a ton in our garden. So I don't know how much outside cooking I'll do. I know there are a lot of people who are into eating cicadas, but I am not one of them.
  • Get Mr. AFA to do the grilling. :D

I like the look of that hood on Amazon... does it go well enough with the style of the cabinets and the rest of the house?
  • I wish! Little afa has an early-bird special for dinner (5:00ish) and Mr. afa doesn't get home until at least 7, so I'm on my own for grilling (and keeping an eye on the kidlet). Plus he'd probably sneak a cicada in there just to mess with me.

The hood doesn't....reeeeallly go. We're doing white shaker cabinets and a butcher block countertop, with some open shelving. So it's VERY modern for the look we're going for. But, I'm not sure if I want the hood to not totally go, but be fairly unobtrusive, OR have a hood that is more traditional but is super in the way.
  • The picture I posted above used shaker cabinets and the modern hood did not look bad at all IMHO. I think you will be fine. Although it is a classic kitchen, it is not an "old" classic kitchen. And you will likely have stainless appliances, right? So it will go with the rest of the appliances.
  • Why not mount higher and increase the cfm? If I remember, if was something like an additional 100cfm for every 3" above 30" for Zephyr and Vent-A-Hood.
  • This one also looks pretty classic and the hood does not look bad at all. Your will probably look even better since you can place it between the two windows. You can also put it a bit higher so that you have even less obstruction.
    HoodWindow.jpg
  • I wonder what the code requirements are as to how high it must be above the stove?
  • Still cannot find the tape measure, but if I'm doing the math on this right, this is what the Golden Vantage range hood would look like, as long as the specs are right and it can REALLY only be 30" tall. Thinking this might be the best solution. It really is not taking up much room at all.......

It says it should be 24-30" above the cook surface. This would be abouuuut 30". I think 24" would make me feel incredibly claustrophobic!!
    IMG_2248.JPG
  • OK. Bear with me, and HELP! This is our tentative layout. I found a nice list online of "zones" for the kitchen and I'm trying to make sure everything has a place before I order these, and I'd love some advice like, "BUT WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THE VERY IMPORTANT SO-AND-SO THING YOU'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT." This is my first "real" kitchen (my previous kitchens have been rinky dink apartment kitchens with 3 cabinets total, so planning this much space is all exciting/overwhelming).

So there will be 5 pictures. This is the overhead view of the kitchen:

IMG_2252.JPG

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 12

Cleaning Services 2

Elderly Care 5

Nanny 22

Office Work 7

Other 20

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 18

Cleaning Services 41

Elderly Care 14

Nanny 47

Office Work 1

Other 34

FOR SALE

Excellent kitchen island for sale - Various-see ad

Mid-Century Table Lamp - $95

Primative Bar or Desk - $150

2 Light Kitchen Island or Billiard Ceiling Light - $195

Wicker changing table/storage unit - $50.

Rentals

Beautiful 2 bedroom apt for rent in Maplewood - $1500+ utilities