Changing from Gas Oven to Electric Oven?
  • We want to replace our current Gas oven with a new built-in.

We just started looking recently and have noticed that there's way more electric ovens than gas to choose from.

Just wondering is it a big deal to change from gas to electric oven?

What steps would we need to take? If anyone has done this how easy was it?

Thanks!
  • You cannot simply exchange a gas oven for an electric one. The electric oven will require 220v wiring, a job for a master electrician. The gas stove connected to a 110v for the clock and ignition, and the gas connection will have to be sealed off properly to avoid leaking gas into the house. You will most likely need an electrician to rewire the connection or add a new one, and a plumber to disconnect the gas line. For what it will cost in labor alone, I would simply replace the gas stove with a nice new one.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071116125331AA3Sf7j
  • Is your oven separate from the cooktop? If it's all one unit, you might want to consider a gas cooktop/electric oven set-up. They are harder to find, and you might still have the wiring issue, but you would be able to have the benefits of gas cooking on the stovetop and electric baking/roasting. Gas is much easier to control on the cooktop, resulting in less burning and much easier cooking; however, an electric oven maintains a more even temperature and produces better baked goods and less erratic cooking.

We have a gas top/electric oven unit from Jennair, and we really like it. Sears also makes one that I looked at two weeks ago.

I'm actually surprised you are not finding very many gas ranges out there... I thought they were extremely popular and common??
  • Thanks for that Robert23, I had a feeling it wouldn't be too straightforward.
  • Question: Is it an old or new house? Some builders have the foresight to include 220v wiring and outlet (can't miss it, it's a huge receptacle) and gas connections in new kitchen design and construction just in case the homeowner wants to change at some point. This is especially true for built ins.
  • i recently got what peggyc has referred to - a gas cooktop with an electric oven. i'd had all gas before then.
    it did require an electrician to run a 220v line for the electric oven. it wasn't cheap, but it wasn't tooooooo bad either.
  • The 220 volt service becomes an issue if you don't have two spare circuits in your circuit breaker box. You get 220 volts by doubling up two 110 circuits. If this is the case you have to upgrade your service and that is going to run $1,500 plus.
  • Ok, well it is an old house(1929), but I'll have a look and see for the 220V..is it the wiring outside the house I need to look at or the inside?

Leighan, just curious..how much did the electrician charge?(if you don't mind me asking?)

PeggyC, we're looking for 2 seperate units - it seems because we're looking for a wall oven the gas ones are hard to come by(we need a single one).
    We did only start looking thou and have only looked online so far.
  • mq42, our house is the same era as yours, but the electrical had been upgraded at some point, so don't automatically assume that bobk's nightmare scenario will come true. (oh bobk, you catastrophist!!)
    we had the electrician complete another project for us at the same time as running the 220v line, and the estimate didn't include a breakdown of the two, so i can't give you an exact amount. i will say that it was $800 for both jobs and he was at our house for hours. we used mike volpe at all city, 908-578-2287, and he did great work.

i don't know if i'd have gone to electric from all gas had i not gotten a fantastic deal on my range, so it all evened out in the end.
  • Ah, I can see why the wall ovens might be hard to find in gas. I didn't realize they even made those. I'd have someone check out your electrical situation and see how hard it might be to make the conversion. You would most likely still need to get a licensed plumber to cap off the gas, to make sure that's absolutely safe.

And if it's just the single unit, oven-only, electric is much better from a cooking standpoint. In my view, at least. I'd take a shot at it.
  • Electrical wires are rated in amperes (amps), not volts. Wires don't really care how many volts you run through them. The trouble is that you need a very thick circuit, able to handle about 50 amps.

Why in the world would you want to go from gas to electric?
  • For an oven, most chefs would tell you that electric provides more stable, even heat than gas. The reverse is true if you are talking about a stovetop. That's why I like my dual unit... I hated our electric range in the old house like poison - there was at least one dish I had to stop making for four years while we lived there, until we moved up here and I could get my gas range back. But for ovens, I do prefer the electric. The fluctuations in temperature are not as drastic.
  • Apparently for baking, dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven) has benefits. While for roasting, a gas oven is better, moister. Not sure that I do enough of either to make a big difference!

When I moved into this house, I converted from electric to gas in the kitchen. When I remodeled the kitchen this year, I chose another all gas range (both cooktop and oven), but did get convection which I think is awesome. Great for cookies, even better for roasting meats (think turkey!!).

I thought about converting to dual fuel, there is a lotta passion among some cooks for that, but then I really couldn't stand the thought of 60 amps of electricity being used to heat a pizza -- and the whirring of the electric meter would have made me dizzy~!

If you bake or roast a lot -- the energy use is a consideration. Though practically, for many of us, maybe its little relative to our daily use.

/p
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 20

Cleaning Services 4

Elderly Care 4

Nanny 31

Office Work 6

Other 18

Employment Wanted